Whistler, B.C.’s Brandon Lord finished fourth today in the men’s 10000-metres final at the 2013 Summer Universiade in Kazan, Russia. Lord crossed the line in 29 minutes and 12.90 seconds to register a new personal best time.
Sam Effah of Calgary, Alta., blasted out from the blocks in the men’s 100-metres final today. Sam crossed the line in 10.29 seconds for sixth place. In the women’s 100-metres, Richmond, Ont.’s Shai-Anne Davis clocked in at 11.54 seconds also for a sixth place finish.
In the women’s 800-metres both of Vancouver, B.C.’s Helen Crofts and Jessica Smith will advance to the final after finishing third in their respective heats for an automatic qualification. Crofts registered a new personal best time of 2:01.35 while Jessica finished in 2:01.61.
In the men’s javelin Kyle Nielsen of Coquitlam, B.C., threw 71.31 metres finishing fifth in his group and securing his spot in the final. Cody Parker of Comox Valley, B.C., registered 65.77 metres and does not advance.
After the first day of the men’s decathlon Patrick Arbour of Ottawa, Ont., is in 10th place with 3628 points. Arbour clocked 11.63 over 100-metres, long jumped 6.74 metres, threw the shot put 14.57 metres, cleared 1.89 metres in the high jump and crossed the line in 53.00 over 400-metres.
Alicia Brown of Ottawa, Ont., clocked a personal best time of 52.46 seconds over 400-metres to secure her spot in the finals. In the men’s race Daniel Harper of Brampton, Ont., qualified with his time of 46.26 seconds. Benjamin Ayesu-Attah of Coquitlam, B.C., finished fourth in his semi final with 47.11 and does not advance.
More performances from today
- Rayann Chin of Pickering, Ont., finished 11th in the women’s discus throw with 46.44 metres
- Regina, Sask.’s Tait Nystuen ran a personal best of 50.45 seconds in the 400-metre hurdles which qualified him onto the semi final.
- Khamica Bingham of Brampton, Ont., did not advance from the 100-metres semi final; she was fourth in her heat in 11.78
- Marystown, Nfld.’s Ryan Brockerville finished sixth in his 3000-metres steeplechase heat in 9:00.60 and does not advance to the final
- In the women’s 400-metre hurdles Sarah Wells of Unionville, Ont., qualified into the finals while setting a new personal best of 55.66 seconds. Noelle Montcalm of Windsor, Ont., finished third in her wet and rainy heat in 58.04 seconds and does not advance.
Athletes in Action on Day 3 of Athletics
|Men’s 20km Race Walk||12:00am||Evan Dunfee|
|Decathlon 110m Hurdles||Heat 2||1:06am||Patrick Arbour|
|Decathlon Discus||2:25am||Patrick Arbour|
|Men’s 200m||Heat 4||3:43am||Segun Makinde|
|Heat 10||4:19am||Brendon Rodney|
|Decathlon Pole Vault||7:30am||Patrick Arbour|
|Women’s 200m||Heat 2||9:15am||Kimberly Hyacinthe|
|Heat 5||9:30am||Shai-Anne Davis|
|Men’s 400m Hurdles||Semi final 2||10:25am||Tait Nystuen|
|Men’s 200m||Round 2||10:45am||*Segun Makinde|
|Decathlon Javelin||11:00am||Patrick Arbour|
|Men’s 1500m||FINAL||11:15am||Ross Proudfoot|
|Women’s 400m Hurdles||FINAL||11:40am||Sarah Wells|
|Men’s 400m||FINAL||12:20pm||Daniel Harper|
|Women’s 800m||FINAL||12:40pm||Helen Crofts|
|Women’s 400m||FINAL||1:05pm||Alicia Brown|
|Decathlon 1500m||FINAL||1:15pm||Patrick Arbour|
*denotes qualification required
For more information including the schedule, results and live streaming visit: http://www.athletics.ca/page.