© Copyright – 2022 – Athletics Illustrated
Emily Sisson broke her own American half marathon record Sunday at the Aramco Houston Half Marathon clocking one hour, six minutes, and 52 seconds (66:52). The 31-year-old finished in second place. Ethiopian Hiwot Gebremaryam won in the time of 66:28, after setting a stunning 64-minute opening pace during the first 5K. She passed 5K in 15:14. Sisson in 15:31.
Sisson was never able to close the gap, however, crept within approximately 20 seconds of the leader at one point.
some Houston magic for Emily Sisson, who breaks her own American Record in the Half Marathon running a 1:06:52 pic.twitter.com/N7Em6ZGi4X— Mia Murillo (@miamurillo_) January 15, 2023
Sisson broke the American marathon record in Chicago on October 9, 2022. She ran to a 2:18:29 finish which improved the record by 43 seconds. Keira D’Amato set the previous record in Houston last year at 2:19:12.
Finishing in third place was Jessica Warner-Judd in 67:19. Lindsay Flanagan and Jenny Simpson clocked identical times of 70:35 for eighth and ninth place. It was Simpson’s debut at the distance.
American Molly Huddle started slower and worked her way through the top runners as the race rolled out. She passed 10K in approximately 15th place and ended up fifth in the time of 70:01.
Ethiopian Leul Gebresilase Aleme won the men’s race in the time of 60:34. Clocking second was Wesley Kiptoo in 60:35, while Mohamed El Araby took third 23 seconds behind the two leaders.
Canadian Natasha Wodak, who holds the national marathon record at 2:23:12 from the 2022 Berlin Marathon in September was scheduled to run however, did not make the trip due to illness. She set the Canadian half-marathon record in 2020 in Houston becoming the first Canadian to run sub 70 minutes with her 69:41 finish time. The record was bettered weeks later in Marugame, Japan by Andrea Seccafien and it still stands at 69:38. Wodak would like the record back.
In 2021, Seccafien also bettered Wodak’s national record in the 10,000m at the Sound Running Track Meet with her time of 31:13.94.
Top Results Men’s Half Marathon
1. Leul Gebresilase Aleme (ETH) – 1:00:34
2. Wesley Kiptoo (KEN) – 1:00:35
3. Mohamed El Araby (MAR) – 1:00:58
4. Alberto Gonzalez Mindez (GUA) – 1:01:03
5. Zouhair Talbi (USA) – 1:01:08
6. Conner Mantz (USA) – 1:01:12
7. Shura Kitata Tola (ETH) – 1:01:16
8. Edward Cheserek (KEN) – 1:01:51
9. Frank Lara (USA) – 1:02:00
10. Brian Srader (USA) – 1:02:17
Top Results Women’s Half Marathon
1. Hiwot Gebremaryam (ETH) – 1:06:28
2. Emily Sisson (USA) – 1:06:52
3. Jessica Warner-Judd (GBR) – 1:07:19
4. Anna Dibaba (ETH) – 1:09:22
5. Molly Huddle (USA) – 1:10:01
6. Dominique Scott (RSA) – 1:10:07
7. Erika Kemp (USA) – 1:10:14
8. Lindsay Flanagan (USA) – 1:10:35
9. Jennifer Simpson (USA) – 1:10:35
10. Jessie Cardin (USA) – 1:10:52