© Copyright – 2022 – Athletics Illustrated
It was a great day for Scotland at the Fifth Avenue Mile on Sunday at Laura Muir and Jake Wightman won the event.
Muir breasted the tape in four minutes and 14.8 seconds, while Wightman recorded a 3:49.60 finish time.
Muir, age 29, broke the course record with her performance. Nikki Hiltz and Eleanor Fulton finished in second and third place, respectively.
Laura Muir and Jake Wightman win New Balance 5th Avenue Mile in New York >> https://t.co/LECENw3gO7 via @BBCSport— NYRR Media Relations (@nyrrnews) September 12, 2022
"This was the last race of my season and it was hard. I did all I could to leave it all out there." – @lauramuiruns
In the men’s race, Wightman defended his title from the previous edition. He also won in 2018. Finishing in second and third were Welsh runner Jake Heyward and American Sam Prakel in third place.
Wightman is having a career year. In 2022 he won the Eugene World Championships 1500m event taking down Norwegian great Jakob Ingebrigtsen in the process with his 3:29.233. The 28-year-old earned a silver at the Munich European Championships and bronze at the Birmingham Commonwealth Games. He won three Diamond League events in the 800m, 1000m, and 1500m distances.
Wightman set five new personal bests in 2022 in the 800m, 1000m, 1500m, mile (1609m), and the indoors 3000m.
Muir earned a bronze medal during the Eugene World Athletics Championships in the 1500m distance event with her 3:55.28. She then went on to win the European Championships. She is an 11-time national champion and holds two national records over the 1000m and 1500m in 2:30.82 and 3:54.50. She holds four national indoor records: 1000m, 1500m, 3000m, and 5000m.
- Laura Muir (GBR) – 4:14.8 (Course Record)
- Nikki Hiltz (USA) – 4:17.4
- Eleanor Fulton (USA) – 4:18.0
- Jemma Reekie (GBR) – 4:18.3
- Adelle Tracy (JAM) – 4:19.2
- Nozomi Tanala (JPN) – 4:19.3
- Sage Hurta (USA) – 4:19.6
- Hellen Schlachtenhaufen (USA) – 4:20
- Melissa Courtney-Bryant (USA) – 4:21
- Lizzis Bird (GBR) – 4:22
- Emma Coburn (USA) – 4:23
- Cory McGee (USA) – 4:23
- Ellie Baker (GBR) – 4:25
- Sinclaire Johnson (USA) – 4:25
- Allie Wilson (USA) – 4:25
- Heather MacLean (USA) – 4:26
- Ciara Mcgeean (IRL) – 4:30
- Hannah Nuttall (GBR) – 4:30
- Susan Ejore (KEN) – 4:37
- Aisha Praught-Leer (JAM) – 4:42
TOP RESULTS PRO MEN
- Jake Wightman (GBR) – 3:49.6
- Jake Hayward (GBR) – 3:49.9
- Sam Prakel (USA) – 3:50.4
- William Paulson (CAN) – 3:51
- Eric Holt (USA) – 3:50.7
- Cole Hocker (USA) – 3:50.7
- Geordie Beamish (USA) – 3:51.0
- Matt Stonier (GBR) – 3:51.1
- Luis Grijalva (GTM) – 3:52
- Paul Ryan (USA) – 3:52
- Josh Kerr (GBR) – 3:52
- Sam Parsons (GER) – 3:53
- Joe Klecker (USA) – 3:53
- Jye Edwards (AUS) – 3:54
- Eric Holt (USA) – 3:55
- Andrew Coscoran (IRL) – 3:55
- Eric Avila (USA) – 3:55
- Charles Philibert-Thiboutot (CAN) – 3:57
- Josh Thompson (USA) – 3:58
- Craig Engels (USA) – 3:58