No one expected the Caster Semenya situation to go away quickly. Also, no one expected Semenya to go away without a fight. In fact, she was defiant that she would not take the testosterone-limiting medication that the International Association of Athletics Federations expected her to take and that the Court for Arbitration of Sport’s upholding of the IAAF’s decision.
She is back running freely again.
The ball is in the IAAF’s court: protect women’s running in the middle distances or give up and allow intersex athletes to dominate women’s categories.
No matter who wins, someone loses with this situation.
From Inside the Games
Caster Semenya has been cleared to compete without taking medication to lower her testosterone levels while her appeal is pending after a court in Switzerland ordered an immediate suspension of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) regulations.
The Federal Supreme Court of Switzerland has demanded the implementation of rules forcing athletes with differences in sexual development (DSD) to take drugs to medically reduce their naturally-occurring testosterone if they want to compete at events ranging from 400 metres to a mile be put on hold.
The decision is a major boost for the two-times Olympic and triple world 800m champion as she continues to challenge the verdict delivered by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), which ruled in favour of the IAAF last month.
The Lausanne-based court has given the IAAF until June 25 to issue its response.
Until then, Semenya is free to compete in events between the two distances without any restriction.
“I am thankful to the Swiss judges for this decision,” Semenya said in a statement.
“I hope that following my appeal I will once again be able to run free.”
Dorothee Schramm, who is leading Semenya’s appeal, said the Swiss Supreme Court ruling provided “welcome temporary protection” for the South African star.
“This is an important case that will have fundamental implications for the human rights of female athletes,” she added.